China Daily > China News

Friday, May 1, 2020

Choice Project

Recently I have discovered a great online app that can help students make simple music and beats. The website is called Soundtrap. It is so easy that I can finish making a small demo in less than 10 minutes. It requires some basic knowledge in terms of musical instruments and music theory but I believe anyone can figure out how it works just by playing around with it. I think it is a great tool for students who don't have access to a musical instrument to explore what each instrument sounds like and how they work in a band.

Although this app could be more useful in a music class, still it has great potential in an English class. I plan to use it in the creative writing classroom since students will be writing poems, lyrics and so on. I can have my students write some lyrics and come up with a melody in groups. Then have group members cooperate putting together a legitimate song in Soundtrap since multiple users can work on the same project together at the same time. By providing my student tools to make music, they will be more invested in writing creative poems and lyrics. In the end, they will have a sense of accomplishment.

If you are interested in the app, I highly recommend you buy a MIDI keyboard and it's going to make the best experience using Soundtrap. You can usually find a really good 25 keys MIDI keyboard under $50 which is way less expensive than buying a saxophone or a piano. Digital music production is now the trend!

Demo:

Project:
https://www.soundtrap.com/signup?ref=f706bc935e6c45d44199ea43c51962ac
Feel free to add more to the song!


No comments:

Post a Comment